That’s one small step for man,one giant leap for mankindNEIL ARMSTRONG
Who hasn’t dreamt of draping a superhero cape and flying through the sky like a superman as a child?! We all have and some of us still do. Well, it’s never too late to dream because, as surprising as it may sound, there are aviation firms around the world that cater to just that! How you may ask? Read on…
What is the concept of weightlessness ?
Technically, weightlessness is felt when the effects of gravity are nullified- ” Zero Gravity”. Now scientifically speaking, gravity is everywhere but astronauts usually don’t feel its effects in space due to the absence of gravity.
Now if we are to experience the same scenario here on earth, trick is to re-create such a similar zero-gravity environment on earth ( or air specifically!). Sounds something straight out of a Sci-Fi movie? You bet it is and it’s too good to be true!
The ZERO-G experience
Weightlessness isn’t just for NASA anymore! The ZERO-G Experience is open to all civilians 8 and above although if you have any predisposing medical conditions, you need to obtain a clearance from your general physician. And mind you:
It’s not a simulation—it’s real life, minus gravity.
A specially modified Boeing 727 is used for this purpose which flies in parabolic arcs to create a weightless environment, allowing you to float, flip, and soar as if you were in space.
Let’s get started!
ZERO-G is the world’s only FAA-certified provider of weightless flights, held to the same Part 121 safety standards as passenger airlines.
The ZERO-G Experience starts at $6700 + 5% tax per person and includes:
- 15 parabolas, including martian, lunar, and zero gravity
- ZERO-G flight suit
- ZERO-G merchandise
- Certificate of weightless completion
- Photos and videos of your experience
How does it work?
The specially modified Boeing 727 G-FORCE ONE aircraft achieves weightlessness by flying aerobatic maneuvers called parabolas. Specially trained pilots perform these aerobatic maneuvers, which are not simulated in any way.
- G-FORCE ONE flies in FAA-designated airspace blocks approximately 100 miles long and ten miles wide. The process starts with the aircraft flying level with the horizon at an altitude of 24,000 feet.
- The pilots then gradually increase the angle of the aircraft to about 45° relative to the horizon until reaching an altitude of 32,000 feet. During this phase, passengers feel the pull of 1.8 Gs.
- The plane then pushes over the top of the parabolic arc and the zero-gravity phase begins. For the next 20-30 seconds, everything in the plane is weightless!
- Finally, the plane gently pulls out of the maneuver, allowing flyers to gradually return to the floor of the aircraft.
- The maneuver has flown a total of 15 times throughout the flight, each taking about ten miles of airspace to perform.
IN addition to the above,flyers aboard G-FORCE ONE also experience Lunar gravity (one sixth your weight) and Martian gravity (one third your weight), achieved by flying a wider arc over the top of the parabola.
Reservations for the upcoming months are going on and for about USD 6700, you could book yourselves a ride on a B727 and gain an experience like no other! Flight duration would be approximately 5 hours.
- Cover : en.wikipedia.org