From its base at Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR), Avelo plans to start service on April 28 to underserved or secondary airports in the West using leased Boeing 737-800s. Tickets are now on sale at aveloair.com.
Purpose & Aim
Avelo has a simple purpose — to inspire travel. “People are ready to reconnect with family and friends and explore new places. Avelo is a different and better kind of airline, built from scratch to offer an affordable, convenient and caring travel experience.” said Avelo founder, chairman and CEO, Andrew Levy. The airline’s aim is to serve smaller airports in the West in an effort to avoid passengers having to fly into major airports to make connecting flights to their final destinations. Their target audience is focused on individuals looking to take a break from their usual lives and get involved in outdoor activities – something that is becoming increasingly popular among many people as the pandemic continues.
Avelo Airlines will be launching flights out of Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) as April 28, 2021, with fares starting at just $19 one-way for all routes. The airline promises low fares coupled with a smooth and convenient travel experience, flying nonstop unserved routes between Burbank and 11 destinations across the Western US.
Initially the airline will offer flights from Burbank (BUR) to the following destinations, all of which focus on outdoor recreation, and which range from 387 miles to 885 miles:
- Arcata/Eureka, CA (ACV) — 4x weekly as of May 19, 2021
- Bend/Redmond, OR (RDM) — 3x weekly as of May 13, 2021
- Bozeman, MT (BZN) — 4x weekly as of April 30, 2021
- Eugene, OR (EUG) — 4x weekly as of May 12, 2021
- Grand Junction, CO (GJT) — 4x weekly as of May 9, 2021
- Medford, OR (MFR) — 4x weekly as of May 9, 2021
- Pasco, WA (PSC) — 3x weekly as of April 29, 2021
- Phoenix / Mesa, AZ (AZA) — daily as of May 3, 2021
- Odgen, UT (OGD) — 6x weekly as of May 4, 2021
- Redding, CA (RDD) — 3x weekly as of May 20, 2021
- Santa Rosa, CA (STS) — daily as of April 28, 2021
Flights will open for bookings at aveloair.com starting today, Thursday, April 8, 2021.
Fees & Extras
While fares will start at $19 one-way, the airline will offer unbundled fares, meaning you’ll have to pay extra for things like bags, seating, and more. Avelo Airlines is promising “industry-low prices” for extras such as:
- A first checked bag costs $10
- A carry-on overhead bag costs $35
- Priority boarding costs $10
- A pet in the cabin costs $95
- Customers can pre-reserve window or aisle seats starting at $5, and extra legroom seats starting at $18
Fleet & Seating
Avelo will be flying next-generation Boeing 737-800s. So far the airline has three of these, which are between 13-15 years old. Each 737 will feature 189 seats with the following features:
- There will be 129 seats featuring 29″ of pitch, which is among the tightest you’ll find on any carrier
- There will be 60 seats featuring 31-38″ of pitch, which can be reserved starting at $18
Response To COVID-19
Avelo Airlines stated that tray tables, galleys, lavatories and all other touch surfaces are sanitized every evening with Calla 1452 (hospital-grade) disinfectant. It has highlighted the 737’s air filtration system, which refreshes cabin air every two to three minutes, and has promised to offer passengers convenience passengers including hand sanitizer, bottled water and a prepackaged snack.
Avelo is starting relatively small – along with its three planes, it currently has 150 crewmembers – but it plans to expand fairly rapidly. By the end of 2021, the carrier is projecting to have at least six aircraft and around 400 employees.