Ground handling is a crucial aspect of the aviation industry, responsible for a wide range of services that facilitate the smooth operation of flights and the comfort of passengers. From welcoming travelers at the airport and verifying their identities to loading and unloading baggage and conducting security checks, ground handling staff play a vital role in ensuring that every aspect of the travel experience runs smoothly.
In many cases, airlines outsource these services to airports, handling agents, or even other airlines, with conservative estimates suggesting that over 50% of ground handling at airports is contracted out. This article will delve into the various categories of ground handling services and the duties of ground handling staff, as well as explore some of the top ground handling companies in Egypt.
About this process
In aviation, “ground handling” refers to the wide range of services provided to facilitate an aircraft flight or ground repositioning, preparation for and upon conclusion of a flight which will include both customer service and ramp service functions.
Conservative estimates indicate airlines outsource more than 50 percent of the ground handling at the world’s airports.
Many airlines subcontract ground handling to airports, handling agents or even to another airline, according to the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
The significant categories of ground-handling services
Ramp service, cabin service, passenger service, catering, field operation service, etc.
Duties for Ground-Handling Staff
Ground handlers are responsible for the following tasks:
- Welcoming the passengers when they enter the airport.
- Checking the number of baggage, the passenger has.
- Making reservations as and when requested.
- Ensuring the safety and comfort of all the passengers.
- Assisting passengers by answering their questions.
- Helping disabled passengers and kids.
- Verifying passengers’ identities and issuing boarding passes.
- Conducting security scans of the passengers as well as their baggage.
- Ramp service
- Loading and unloading baggage to or from the plane.
- Performing all cabin-related duties as and when required.
- Manning of check-in counters for departing passengers.
- Offering good customer service to the passengers.
Ground Handling Companies in Egypt
- Egyptair Ground Service
- Egyptain Aviation Services
- Tiger Aviation Services (TAS)
- ASE Group
- International Aviation Business (IAB)
- Link Aero Trading Agency
- Top Aviation
- Smart Aviation
- AN Aviation Services
- Nile Valley Aviation
- Aviary Aero
- 5 Continents Aviation Services
- New Star Aviation Services NSAS
- SS AIR Aviation Ground Services
- Z Aviation Services